Cod is similar in taste and texture to haddock, and both can be cooked in the same way. The benefits of grilling, steaming, sautéing, or baking fish can be circumvented through broiling, which is a healthy alternative to frying. To make the healthiest broiled haddock, use a small amount of oil and vegetables along with less salt and breading.
New England is home to some wonderful white fish, including Haddock, which is light and flaky. This dish is easy to prepare and its mild flavor gets a boost with the addition of spices.
The fish and juices of some fish are held in a recessed part of the broiling pan. When cooking this broiled haddock recipe without a smoker, prepare it on foil or a greased cookie sheet.
How to Broil Haddock?
Here Are the Ingredients
- Small pieces of butter, 1 tablespoon
- Slice one lemon into wedges
- Spray for cooking
- Haddock fillets – 2 lbs
- ½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt (½ teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- Garlic powder, ½ teaspoons
Preheating the oven’s broiler and putting the rack about six inches from the heat source will help to ensure successful baking. Spray baking paper with cooking spray before placing it on the oven’s rack.
Prepare a baking sheet for the haddock fillets. Sprinkle the seasoning over said haddock after mixing paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Put butter on top of the haddock.
Fish should be flaked with a fork easily when the broiler is preheated, about 6-8 minutes. Lemon wedges should accompany the dish.
- There are many choices in this quick, easy, and delicious recipe for delicate fish fillets, including haddock, cod, pollock, sole, or flounder, but walleye would also work well.
- To add more heat and fewer carbohydrates, you can replace the breadcrumbs with spices.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika with garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to prepare the smoked paprika dish.
- Place the haddock on the broiler and dot the top with butter as in the breadcrumbs recipe. Put the butter on the haddock before coating it with the spice mixture.
- Cook and serve this light and flavorful meal according to the directions above.
How Do I Broil without A Broiler Pan?
The best substitute for a broiling pan is a roasting tray with a wire rack insert. A wire rack helps separate the juice from the food when using a roasting tray as-is. Griddle pans and sheets made of cast iron, roasting trays, baking sheets, and aluminium trays are other suitable alternatives.
How Do You Know when Haddock Is Cooked?
Testing your fish at an angle and gently twisting it at the thickest point is the best way to determine whether it is done. During the cooking process, the translucent quality of the fish will be lost and the flesh will flake easily. Temperatures between 140 and 145 degrees Fahrenheit are generally recommended for cooking fish.
Facts About Nutrition
229 calories; 43.2g protein; 0.9g carbohydrates; 4.7g fat; 138.8mg cholesterol; 465.8mg sodium.
FAQs About How to Broil Haddock?
1. What are the health benefits of broiled fish?
According to Chrisanne Urban, a registered dietitian at Marshfield Clinic, baked or broiled fish is more nutritious than raw Atlantic cod (which is not available at the local supper club). However, something else is available as well. A tablespoon of salted butter contains 36 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 32 mg of sodium.”
2. What is the best way to cook fish without causing it to dry out?
Add some liquid to the tray or to the sauce when cooking white fish to prevent it from drying out. There are many liquids you can use, including wine, butter, milk, lemon, lime, orange juice, oil, or a little stock. In addition to herbs, tomatoes, onions, and chopped vegetables, you can add other ingredients to add flavor and aroma.
3. Broiler pans made from foil work?
If you don’t have a nonstick pan or if you are cooking messy foods, line the top and bottom of the broiler pan with regular or nonstick aluminum foil. Make sure there are slits cut through the foil so fat can drain from the top of the broiler pan.
4. How should fish be fried?
In the pan, you can cook fish faster by placing the flesh side down. The fish is best prepared from the “presenting” side first. Typically, when presenting a fillet to the diner, you want to demonstrate the outside of the meat. As most fillets sold today come with the skin removed, it doesn’t matter which side you cook first.
5. What is the mercury content of Haddock?
Fisheries with low mercury levels include Atlantic croaker, Atlantic mackerel, catfish, crabs, crawfish, flatfish (flouting and sole), haddock, mullet, and trout. Mercury levels in these fish are too high for women of childbearing age, pregnant women, and nursing mothers.