My life would be so much richer with air fryer croutons! After using the air fryer for the first time I will never go back to making croutons in the oven.
I love to add them to soups and salads, and they’re so easy to make! Besides using stale bread, these are delicious. You should always use old bread for croutons.
Make your croutons more interesting by adding some additional seasonings. In the ingredients section below, I have offered some suggestions for seasonings to get you going, but there’s nothing wrong with just plain salt and pepper.
How to Make Croutons in Air Fryer?
How Does an Air Fryer Work?
Food is cooked and crisped using convection, which circulates hot air rapidly around food. In essence, it’s a small convection oven you can keep on your countertop.
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 slices white bread, cubed
To prepare food on an air fryer, the temperature should be set to 400F (200C).
A large mixing bowl should be used for placing the bread cubes. Sprinkle the parsley, garlic powder, and seasoned salt over the bread cubes after pouring the butter over them. Stir bread cubes until they are evenly coated with the sauce. The butter should absorb into the bread after 2 minutes.
The bread should be placed in the air fryer basket and cooked for 4 minutes. Toss the potatoes with a spatula for 2 more minutes. Placing the croutons on a plate lined with paper towels until ready to use will keep them from sticking together.
Advice on Storage
You can store homemade croutons in an airtight container for at least a few days, if not longer, at room temperature. Make sure the croutons are completely cooled before storing them in the container.
How Long Do You Air Fry Croutons?
Croutons should be fried at 350oF for 10-12 minutes. Croutons vary in size and time depending on the air fryer.
How Long Will Croutons Keep?
As we enjoy snacking on them, we usually eat them within two days. If they are not wet or exposed to moisture, the croutons should easily keep for a week.
How Do You Soften Croutons?
Microwave the bread for one minute after wrapping it in a damp towel. The bread should be soft after one minute.
- What if you could bake them? On a baking tray, place the bread cubes & bake at 180C / 350F for 5-10 minutes, stirring half way through cooking.
- When making croutons, you can use any kind of bread, but the best croutons are made from thick cut sourdough (white, whole grain, rye – they all work) that is a day or two old. Croutons can be made from stale bread.
- The basket should be shaken regularly. Crunchy croutons do not burn easily!
- You can certainly add whatever spices you like to this recipe, but I purposely kept it simple. It turns out great.
- They should be used right away or stored in an airtight container for a few days.
FAQs About How to Make Croutons in Air Fryer
1. How long do croutons last in the fridge?
In a refrigerator, croutons are at risk of becoming soft and soggy when packed with greens. Croutons must not be refrigerated, so store them separately to avoid disappointment. Serve them just before serving to prevent a soggy salad.
2. Croutons made from scratch can be frozen?
They can be frozen! Toasted stale bread can be shredded and toasted. Once the croutons are ready, place them in a resealable freezer bag and store them in the freezer. The croutons will keep for six months when frozen.
3. Croutons are nothing more than stale bread?
Cheese is sometimes added to croutons. Croutons may be made from almost any kind of bread, with or without crust, whether it is sliced or in a loaf form. Fresh bread is typically substituted with dried or stale bread or leftover bread. It is much easier to keep croutons fresh once they are prepared than unprepared bread.
4. Weight loss with croutons?
You can grill, bake, or fry croutons, but neither of these methods is healthy. Croutons will not help you lose weight, so avoid adding them to your salad. Spiced walnuts (in limited quantities) could be added to your salad if you want to add crunch.
5. Can homemade croutons be reheated?
Croutons that are warm are my favorite! Even when I eat a cold salad, I microwave my favorite homemade croutons. Prepare your oven by heating it to 250 degrees F. Put the croutons on a baking sheet and bake them for about ten minutes until they’re warm.